We have recently had an unveiling of a new commemorative stone, that Sykehouse Parish have purchased for the Village Green. The stone was opened by Mrs Payling, who over the years has done so much for the Village, local community and the Parish Council. With Food and drink served afterwards it was a fantastic day of celebration and reflection.
The Parish would like to say a big thank you to all our lovely volunteers, for the work that has been done recently. Take a look at the brilliant before and after photos in the slideshow below.
Sykehouse village website. Please take a look around the Parish Council website for Sykehouse, this has information on the area and details regarding council assets . Also news and updates will be added to the site. Sykehouse, which lies at the north-east of Doncaster Metropolitan Borough in South Yorkshire, has a population of about 450. It is a low lying agricultural area with the New Junction Canal and Trans-Pennine trail nearby. It is said to be the longest village in Yorkshire. Sykehouse contains the Parish Church of the Holy Trinity. Most of this grade II listed building was built in 1869 by C. H. Fowler, using red bricks and a Gothic Revival style. The tower is older, having been built in 1721, while the font is fifteenth century, but this is presumed to have come from elsewhere. Other listed buildings include a red-brick and rubble barn, attached to Marsh Hills Farmhouse and the farmhouse itself, which is early eighteenth century with twentieth century alterations.
Sykehouse also contains the Village Hall where numerous meetings are held; including: the Parish Council, Show Committee, Women’s Institute, Cricket Club and the Parochial Church Council. The extremely rare Sykehouse Russet apple originated here an old English variety which was thought to have been lost, but was rediscovered growing in gardens in 1999.